Domaine de l'Amauve

 
 Presentation .  Index
 Localization  History Séguret
.

.
.
 
Context.

The Rhone valley has always been a privileged crossing point between the Mediterranean and septentrional Europe. 
Since the Antiquity, the Greeks have entered the center of Gaule when they practised trade. The culture of the vine and the wine have gone with the arrival of the Romans into 125 BC.

.
The village.

Séguret is located in High Vaucluse, in the North of the Dentelles de Montmirail and on the West of the Mont Ventoux. 
The village is built on the foot of a hill surmounted by the ruins of its feudal castle. The walker discovers a village that look like a nativity setting and is diving into the reality of another age. The strong points of the visit are: the Reynier door called locally “Portail de la Bise”, the 14th century belfry with its single needle, the 10th century Saint-Denis church, the "rue des poternes" bordered with high old houses, the "Portail neuf" or "Porte des Huguenots"  which has kept its two iron-rimmed wooden leaves, the fountain of Mascarons classified historic building… 
.

 
The vineyard.

The culture of the vine in the Ouvèze river valley goes back to very old times. It was mentioned by Pline in its “Natural History”, a work written towards 77 AD. 
The Comte de Toulouse was the owner of a vineyard there in 13th century.
In 1817, you could find approximaly 80 hectares of vineyard in the area of Séguret.
In 1967, the wines from Séguret became "Côtes du Rhône Villages Séguret".
In 2005, the surface of the vineyard in production was 268 hectares.

 

Top of the page ]


Index   ]